Wednesday, 4 March 2015

The Song - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings "Stranger To My Happiness"


File:GivethePeopleWhatTheyWant.jpg


I've seen plenty places that I'll never see again ..... 


From the fantastic release by the legendary Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kingson on the Daptone Records label, Give the People What They Want, here's a sumptuous slice of soul from the old-school motown mould.

Written by Dap-Kings head honcho Bosco Mann, it's a pulsating piece of modern blues centred on the wonderful all-encapsulating line I feel like a stranger to my happiness. All belted out beautifully by Sharon, aided and abetted by wonderful back-up singers and a relentless rhythm section.

A song of the pain of dead love and a hard life lived; those mistakes made and forever regretted. A song of this false world of lies ... "I've seen a 100,000 faces and only called a few my friend."

A song of a thousand heartbreaks ... "it's a mystery Just how you came right in and stole my heart away and left me there again."





















No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails