Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Art of the Cover - Courtney Barnett's "Sometimes I Sit and Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit" (2015)




Nice idiosyncratic artwork again from the Melbourne lass.

Yap, acclaimed Aussie songstress Courtney Barnett is to release the follow-up to her fine debut The Double EP: A Sea Of Split Peas. 

Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit is out March 24 via Mom + Pop.

Barnett recorded the album last fall at Head Gap Studio in Melbourne, accompanied by her band. 

In a press release, she says "My songs follow me as a normal human with normal emotions. So there are great highs and great lows. They span everything in my life."


Melbourne’s Courtney Barnett first grabbed people’s attention with her 2013 release The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas, which introduced the world to her laconic indie-rock observations. On her first album, she’s developed her shtick further and created a funny, acerbic but staunchly down-to-earth album.

Comparisons could be drawn to Parquet Courts or even the early small-town musings of Alex Turner. Indeed, Depreston is a bit like A Certain Romance, crafting a story of Aussie inertia; while Elevator Operator paints a picture of LS Lowry-esque stick people as they meander in and out of her gaze.

It’s a genuinely funny album, too, as Barnett crows: “Tell me I’m exceptional, I promise to exploit you / Give me all your money, and I’ll make some origami, honey,” on the single Pedestrian at Best. 

Most of the songs are spiky, punk-inflected indie, but there are more reflective moments, such as Kim’s Caravan, a seven-minute existential ode peppered with Barnett’s dense lyrical reflections.

 Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit is fun, intelligent and sets up Barnett as a voice who can tread between both high and low culture and treat them the same.










Tracklisting


01 Elevator Operator 
02 Pedestrian at Best
03 An Illustration of Loneliness (Sleepless in NY)
04 Small Poppies
05 Depreston
06 Aqua Profunda!
07 Dead Fox
08 Nobody Really Cares if You Don’t Go to the Party
09 Debbie Downer
10 Kim’s Caravan
11 Boxing Day Blues














No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails