Sunday, 1 February 2015

The Cover Version - The Lumineers do 'This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)'



There was a time before we were born; if someone asks, this is where I'll be



From the I don't really like you, but I fucking love this series, here's The Lumineers belting out a fine restrained version of Talking Heads 'This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)'.

This was recorded for Aussie station, Triple J''s Like A Version segment, during the band's whirlwind Australian tour a few months back. 

The band released a studio recording of their This Must Be The Place cover version on the Winter EP.

"This Must Be the Place! is a powerful tale of existentialist confusion and the search (home, is where I want to be but I guess I'm already there.)

A song with evocative (I come home, she lifted up her wings), dark (I feel numb, burn with a weak heart), often stark (I'm just an animal looking for a home) lyrics by David Byrne.

Wonderful words counterpointed by gorgeous glorious melodies.

"This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" was the second single from Talking Heads' fifth album Speaking in Tongues back in '82.

A great version of the song also appeared a little later on the Talkies' seminal live album/ film Stop Making Sense.





















No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails