Saturday, 9 May 2015

Art of the Cover - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell's "Complete Duets Collection (Original recordings remastered)''






Their studio partnership was short-lived, but their love songs live on as some of the most enduring, soulful recordings in pop history. 

Ain't No Mountain High Enough; Your Precious Love; Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing; You're All I Need to Get By; If I Could Build My Whole World Around You; Keep On Lovin' Me Honey, and the rest of their many hits are here!

In fact, this is the first complete collection of their recordings together with material gleamed from their three official LPs, along with 12 unissued tracks, a slew of alternate takes and a number of Terrell solo versions!

We all know these songs; the reason to buy this compilatation is the technical brilliance. Each cut is crisp, clear and with beautiful digital remastering which is an artform in and of itself and is often overlooked. 

Most of these songs were recorded in the 1960's .... it's like cleaning an old painting that has been dulled for years by soot and dust'..... this CD comes roaring back with the youthful zip of a young Marvin (and his partners) making Motown history and setting a score for an entire decade."





Many Motown fans such as myself - and Motown girls fans in particular - will find this a very satisfying compilation. As well as bringing together all the duet albums from the first released on the wave of their first singles success, to the final attempt to cash in on the pairs popularity with Valarie Simpson standing in for the very ill Tammi. Valarie does a convincing rendition of Tammi's vocal style although once you know it is her singing with Marvin, you hear the difference and notice she tries too hard with the southern drawl (this is very evident on 'The Onion song' making it a bit of a risk by Motown issuing it as a single at the time!) The other great feature of this set is to fill in more (maybe even all) of the gaps in Tammi Terrell's recorded work. Like many Motown artists, the majority of her work remained in the can, although this is no reflection on its quality! Oh and don't forget to check out the hidden track at the beginning of disc one! Press play and rewind to the pre-track minus figure. Motown have finally realised that we want more than just releases of old classics! 



Tracklistings

Disc 1

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
You've Got What It Takes
If I Could Build My Whole World Around You
Something Stupid
Your Precious Love
Hold Me Oh My Darling
Two Can Have A Party
Little Ole Boy, Little Ole Girl
If This World Were Mine
Sad Wedding
Give A Little Love
Oh How I'd Miss You
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
Keep On Lovin' Me Honey
You're All I Need To Get By
Baby Don't Cha Worry
You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'
Give In, You Just Can't Win
When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart
Come On And See Me
I Can't Help But Love You
That's How It Is (Since You've Been Gone)
I'll Never Stop Loving You Baby
Memory Chest
Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing
Keep On Lovin' Me Honey
We'll Be Satisfied

Disc 2

Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By
California Soul
Love Woke Me Up This Morning
This Poor Heart Of Mine
I'm Your Puppet
The Onion Song
What You Gave Me
Baby I Need Your Lovin'
I Can't Believe You Love Me
How You Gonna Keep It (After You Get It)
More, More, More
Satisfied Feelin'
I Can't Believe You Love Me
Hold Me Oh My Darling
Come On And See Me
Baby Don't Cha Worry
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Two Can Have A Party
Oh How I'd Miss You
You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'
Give In, You Just Can't Win
When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart
Memory Chest
That's How It Is (Since You've Been Gone)
More, More, More








No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails