Tuesday, 22 September 2009

The Love Song - Allen Reynolds' "Dreaming My Dreams With You"



I won't let it change me. Not if I can. I'd rather believe in love.

"Dreaming My Dreams With You" is a gorgeous song written by singer-songwriter Allen Reynolds who, although having written some fine songs, is probably more famous for his production work with artists of very varied quality!

Born in North Little Rock, Arkansas in 1938, Allen started writing songs during his college years. He and a friend, Dickey Lee, continued writing after college and soon after moved into production and publishing with their own company.




Reynolds is perhaps best known for producing nigh on every Garth Brooks LP. However, he's also produced albums for artists of far better quality such as Kathy Mattea, Hal Ketchum, Crystal Gayle, Emmylou Harris and the O'Kanes.

In addition to producing and writing songs, Allen has also been a successful music publisher and is the owner of the legendary Nashville recording studio, "Jack's Tracks".

Other Reynolds' compositions include "I Recall A Gypsy Woman," "We Should Be Together," "Wrong Road Again," "Ready For The Times To Get Better" and "Somebody Loves You."





An array of artists have covered this classic. Most of them very badly! I was looking for my favourite version - the beautiful fragile Cowboy Junkies version from the mighty "Trinity Sessions" LP - but couldn't find a vid. So instead here's Waylon's decent interpretation of the song (from the 2001 album of the same name) and, even better, the lovely version by Marianne Faithfull (about whom the song could easily have been written!) from her excellent 1978 comeback album "Faithless".

"Dreaming My Dreams With You" is a complex, beautiful, bijou song of heart-wrenching regret and loneliness, but also too a song affirming the power of love, even in wretched circumstance.

It's a tale of anguished separation from a special loved one lost through the protagonist's unstated weakness. It's a recurring weakness from which he hopes "that I've learned this time."

The haunting refrain of "I'll always miss dreaming my dreams with you" highlights the essence of his longing for those long lost moments of true love. He dreams that the pain will eventually end and that "Someday I'll get over you."

Despite this agony, he still strongly believes in, and affirms, the concept of love ("I won't let it change me. Not if I can. I'd rather believe in love.") However, it may be an idyllic, perhaps over-idealised, concept of love to which he aspires ("I hope that I find what I'm reaching for. The way that it is in my mind.") This may be his real tragedy.




 











I hope that I won't be that wrong anymore
I hope that I've learned this time
I hope that I find what I'm reaching for
The way that it is in my mind

Someday I'll get over you
I'll live to see it all through
But I'll always miss
Dreaming my dreams with you

I won't let it change me
Not if I can
I'd rather believe in love
And give it away
As much as I can
To those that I'm fondest of

Someday I'll get over you
I'll live to see it all through
But I'll always miss
Dreaming my dreams with you

Someday I'll get over you
I'll live to see it all through
But I'll always miss
Dreaming my dreams with you


by Allen Reynolds










 
Waylon Jennings - "Dreaming My Dreams With You"

 




Marianne Faithfull - "Dreaming My Dreams With You"













2 comments:

K. said...

What a wonderful song. I'm partial to Waylon's version, but Marianne's sure is luxurious. Alison Krauss does a nice cover, and you should hear Ronnie Drew and Eleanor Shanley: Ronnie rumbles barely in tune while Shanley's (formerly of De Danaan) pure soprano soars over all.

stupid and contagious said...

Thanks K.

I'll try to find the Ronny Drew version.

Related Posts with Thumbnails